Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates for this position will be expected to:
- Create reports with actionable data and crystal clear answers.
- Provide dashboards for various people including C-Level, SEO team, Dev-Team, editors, and more with targeted needs.
- User signals: bounce rate, time on site, pages, visits, traffic sources, etc.
- Leads / revenue per keyword / topic / URL
- Rankings: low hanging fruit, branded vs. non-branded, opportunities for keyword expansion through content expansion, page optimization, etc.
- Competitor and client websites, social networks and search engines results.
Identify and Resolve Technical SEO Issues
- Set-up Google/Bing Webmaster Tools accounts for client websites, and monitor them regularly for crawling and indexing issues. Issues identified will be surfaced to the SEO Lead Manager, documented for client communication/follow-up.
- Have a solid knowledge of the search engine spidering, crawling and indexing process, while understanding the importance of XML sitemaps, robots.txt files and 301 redirects to those processes.
- Have a solid knowledge of web server function, including common server error codes (e.g. 404).
- Have a strong familiarity with the web development process, including the important points at which SEO must be considered.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how duplicate content and page load speed affects SEO by advising clients on best practices for successful implementation and improvement.
Monitor, Analyze and Report on SEO Performance
- Monitor client sites regularly for technical crawl issues and other relevant errors using a variety of SEO tools and expertise.
- Analyze backlinks to client and competitor sites to identify outdated links, 404s, incorrect redirects, or opportunities for competitive improvement.
- Provide insightful analyses and commentary addressing KPI trends and progress. Provide actionable recommendations aimed at addressing gaps in performance, leveraging current strengths, and building on past successes to take advantage of recognized opportunities.
- Prepare periodic reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly, as appropriate to the project) that surface important trends and campaign progress in relevant KPIs, using properly formatted charts, tables, and narratives as appropriate.
- Have working knowledge of Excel, including the ability to perform pivot tables and VLOOKUPs (understanding of INDEX/MATCH is a plus).
Audit Websites for SEO Issues
- Using a variety of tools (including Screaming Frog, FireBug, and others), inspect websites for on-page, off-page and technical issues.
Conduct Keyword/Persona Research
- Use a variety of tools, competitive research and other methods to discover optimal keyword targets appropriate to the business needs of the client.
- Determine the persona of the ideal target for each client, and align SEO strategies and tactics accordingly.
- Determine the metrics that are most important/relevant to each client, and align SEO strategies and tactics to maximize impact (and ROI) within the budget available.
Consult on Site-Level SEO Strategies
- Apply, and be able to explain, the concept of content siloing to client website organization.
- Conduct content gap analyses and develop content creation strategies/roadmaps.
- Apply, and be able to explain, SEO best practices for site navigation, breadcrumbing, internal links (including anchor text optimization), and HTML sitemaps to client websites.
- Apply, and be able to explain, SEO best practices for domain, sub-domain and directory structure to client websites.
Conduct Page-Level Optimization
- Execute optimization of web pages for clients’ target keywords using Pure Visibility’s format.
- Demonstrate the importance of linear keyword distribution and reading level to page-level optimization.
- Clearly convey campaign progress, priorities, issues, concerns, new strategy ideas, etc. to coworkers and clients.
- Prepare project deliverables with a high-level of quality (in terms of both substance, format, and understandability). Documents will be accurate, grammatical, easy to read, and spell-checked.
- Surface project/campaign issues to SEO Manager in a timely manner, in order to provide highly responsive service to the client.
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute to internal and client-facing project meetings.
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute to SEO team meetings.
The ideal candidate for this position should possess or be able to:
- Communicate complex SEO strategies to a wide range of stakeholders;
- Measure the success of SEO campaigns with use of web analytics and SEO campaign management tools;
- Analyze large amounts of data from a variety of sources;
- Prepare executive-ready reporting of SEO campaign performance;
- 3-5 years of relevant SEO experience;
- Substantial experience with the web development process;
- Sound technical understanding of how search engines, web servers and user agents work;
- Experience using SEO campaign management software (such as BrightEdge, SEMRush, Moz);
- A track record of successful SEO program execution in both B2B and B2C settings, particularly with a lead generation focus;
- Up-to-date understanding of organic search trends, including search engine algorithm changes, the latest tools and technologies;
- Excellent presentation, communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
Physical Demands of the Job
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel and to manipulate keys on a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift, carry, and / or move up to 20 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment for the Job
Employee is usually exposed to an open cubicle environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. While performing the duties of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the employee will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Individuals may be required to perform other tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.